A lot of schools talk about success. That’s an important concept in Niles Township schools, too, but we also like to think about impact. A great high school education prepares young adults to make a positive impact on their families, professions and the world. Take a look at a few of our graduates! From the personal to the professional, in their vocations and avocations, through leadership, service, creativity and courage, our alumni are making a difference.
- Martin Chalfie – Scientist, University Professor at Columbia University and 2008 Nobel Prize winner in Chemistry
- Bart Conner – Olympic gymnast and 1984 Olympic Gold Medalist
- Robert Feder – Reporter and Blogger with the Chicago Tribune Media Group; former TV and radio columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times
- Merrick Garland – Chief Justice, U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit
- Sheila Gilani – Director of Operations at Lakhani Hospitality, Inc.
- H. Robert Horvitz – Biologist and 2002 Nobel Prize winner in Physiology or Medicine
- Michael Krasny – Founder and former CEO of CDW Corporation
- Jewell Loyd – Point Guard for the Seattle Storm of the Women’s National Basketball Association
- Rashard Mendenhall – Retired NFL running back, Super Bowl XLIII winner with the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Julie Smolyanksy – President and CEO of Lifeway Foods
- Bruce Wolf – Chicago broadcaster and sports anchor
We hope you will visit your alma mater often and keep up with your high school classmates. You can check dates of upcoming reunions on the district’s website at www.niles-hs.k12.il.us. And please attend events hosted by The Education Foundation.
Both Niles North and Niles West select a recipient for the Distinguished Alumni Award each year. Full details of the selection criteria and prior years’ award recipient information is available on the district’s website: