The Education Foundation (Supporting the Students of Niles Township) is an independent 501(c)3 nonprofit organization led by a dedicated volunteer board of directors.
Our mission is to develop, acquire and distribute financial assistance and other resources to support students in need. We work to enhance the quality and effectiveness of education for the benefit of students in Niles Township.
In recent years, tax cap legislation and dramatic increases in the percentage of families experiencing financial hardship have led many schools around the country to reach out for private support to enrich the educational program and support students in need. Through partnerships with alumni, friends, our neighbors and the business community, The Education Foundation supplements public funds with private philanthropy.
Since 2007, The Education Foundation has awarded more than $300,000 in grants and scholarships to assist students.
We have funded:
- College scholarships for qualified students
- Bus transportation to take students on college visits; the majority of these students are the first members of their families to attend college
- Sizzling Summer Science tuition for elementary students whose families cannot afford it
- STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) programs to make our youth more competitive in the workforce
- School-related activity fees and co-curricular expenses for students in need
- Debate camps at prestigious universities; a national a capella competition in New York; an exchange student trip to Germany; the National Scholastic Press Association journalism conference in San Antonio; the Word Festival in Massachusetts; a summer project at Rice University and much more
- Fees for Advanced Placement (AP) tests, ACT preparation classes, transcripts, and college applications
In recent harsh economic times, The Education Foundation has also supported students in extreme financial need. We have:
- Purchased graphing calculators used in math and science classes for students who cannot otherwise afford to purchase one
- Provided food assistance, including snack bars
- Through the Principal’s Discretionary Fund, the Foundation has funded emergency living and school-related expenses for students experiencing extreme financial hardships
We are thrilled that our collaborations help local young people who are conscious of their potential and optimistic about their future. More and more students are in need of support, and that tells us we need even more capacity to offer these valuable opportunities to these students. We want young adults to become healthy, productive citizens within their own communities. Our partnerships with donors and local businesses can be instrumental in their success.
Our students are phenomenally talented and deserving of every effort to help expand their futures. With your support, The Education Foundation offers valuable skills and experiences that encourage young people to explore their full potential.
Each and every one of those opportunities provides a chance for our students to explore their futures, develop their talents, gain critical job-readiness skills, and better prepare themselves to take the next step towards college and/or career.
The Education Foundation reviews grant applications from teachers, counselors and administrators who are familiar with students’ financial and academic needs. These needs are privately funded through donations. Unfortunately, we cannot always meet all of our requests for aid. At some point every year, we are forced to say no to appeals for help from our own students. Please help us say YES to our students and DONATE TODAY!